About Casting the Future
Casting the Future aims to provide information about the casting industry for anyone who is interested in this vibrant and dynamic industry:
- Casting in the Classroom kit for demonstrating the casting process in schools, colleges and universities.
- Resources for teachers and lecturers.
- Help and advice for companies hosting visits from local school to encourage local engagement.
Did you know?
- More than 100 Million tonnes of castings are produced annually around the world – castings are all around us.
- A hybrid car typically includes over 80 castings.
- All engine blocks for cars are made by casting.
- Wind energy and tidal energy installations both rely on castings to make the parts they need.
- Many medical implants (such as part for replacement knee joints) are made by the investment casting processes.
- Casting engineers innovate and design new cast parts every day.
- The trophies awarded at the BAFTA ceremony are cast in bronze in a foundry near London.
- Over 600 tonnes of steel were poured to produce the largest ever casting made in the UK – it was exported to Germany as part of a press tool to make aircraft wings.